Office of Naval Intelligence #ONI Weekly #Piracy Report - Horn of Africa/ Gulf of Guinea/ SE Asia #m
Office of Naval Intelligence
Horn of Africa/ Gulf of Guinea/ SE Asia:
Piracy Analysis and Warning Weekly (PAWW) Report
1. (U) Horn of Africa - Piracy Events Over The Past Week
(U) Pirate and maritime crime activity in East Africa waters is at a low level. There was an attack in the Somali Basin on 22 October.
(U) Vessels Hijacked: No incidents to report.
(U) Vessels Boarded: No incidents to report.
(U) Vessels Fired Upon/Attempted Boardings:
1. (U) SOMALIA: On 22 October, suspected Somali pirates attacked the chemical tanker, CPO KOREA, 330 nautical miles off the east coast of Somalia. The attack was confirmed after a thorough investigation into the incident. The Operation Commander of the EU Naval Force (Somalia),
Major General Rob Magowan CBE, has reiterated the need for continued vigilance at sea. During the attack a number of shots were exchanged between six armed men in a fast-moving skiff and the armed security team on board CPO KOREA. The suspected pirates eventually broke away after CPO KOREA’s crew successfully implemented self-protection measures by increasing speed, altering course and rigging fire hoses to thwart the attack.
This is the first reported attack on a merchant vessel off the coast of Somalia in two and a half years. It comes after 26 hostages from fishing vessel, NAHAM 3, were released on 22 October after being held by Somali pirates for four and a half years. (EUNAVFOR)
Table of Contents
• Horn of Africa - Piracy Events Over The Past Week
• Horn of Africa – Weather
• 10- Day Weather & Small Boat Operations Map
• Gulf of Guinea - Piracy Events Over The Past Week
• Gulf of Guinea - Weather Forecast
• Southeast Asia - Piracy Events Over The Past Week
• Southeast Asia - Weather Forecast
More information and download the weekly reports at ONI Piracy page http://www.oni.navy.mil/Intelligence-Community/Piracy
Download this weeks report here: