1. This week UKMTO has released one Advisory (see page 3).
2. The advisory issued this week, that reported a sighting of 7 skiffs with up to 6 armed people on board each, is similar to other observations of activity highlighted in recent weeks. Both vessel and crew are safe. Whilst no additional detail is available mariners are reminded to exercise caution whilst transiting through this area and are encouraged to continue to report to UKMTO any activity or sightings that arouses suspicion.
3. Attention is drawn to BMP4, section 9.2, where any shipping that feels threatened or under attack is advised to report the incident on channel 16. This action warns other mariners in the area and will also alert military shipping in the vicinity who may be able to assist.
4. Whilst there has recently been a spike in piracy related activity in the region, worldwide attacks would appear to be reducing. Articles (a), (b) and (c) refer.
5. The importance of addressing route causes of piracy ashore and regional countries providing security is raised in the following articles (d) and (e).