1. This week UKMTO issued one Advisory, see page 3 for full details.
2. It was reported to UKMTO on 28 Aug 17 that, in the Bab el Mandeb straits, four skiffs were sighted, 2 skiffs with ladders. Ref ADVISORY NOTICE 004/AUG/2017. Vessel and crew reported safe.
3. On 04 Sep 17 UKMTO will release a Notice on behalf of CTF151 which advises of a focused operation in the areas off the Somali Coast and Suqutra Gap. This security operation will be conducted between 14 and 28 September 2017. See page 4 for full details of UKMTO NOTICE 002/AUG/2017.
4. The effort against piracy is truly international and breaks down traditional barriers as is demonstrated by article (a).
5. Did local Somalian communities profit for the proceeds of piracy or did they help end the problem? Article (b) refers.
6. The threat from cyber-attacks and the cost they can inflict on the shipping industry is to be tackled by Airbus Defence and Space who will partner the CSO Alliance in building a tailor-made, secure online reporting platform to help counter maritime crime. Articles (c), (d) and (e) refer.