Cyber security has been a growing concern for the shipping industry in recent years. As the use of technology on board ships increases, so does the risk of cybercrime. This article focuses on the effect of cybercrime on charterparties.
Spotting cybercrime Members should remain alert to the risk of cybercrime at all times
• Always check email addresses carefully, especially when discussing payment details.
• Be aware. Treat any changes in the communication style or form with suspicion.
• Cross-check any bank account provided in the email against the bank account details contained in the charterparty.
• If you have any suspicions, do not respond by email as it may be intercepted.
• Always telephone the payee to verify the bank details.