ReCAAP Half Yearly report and summary of incidents of piracy and armed robbery against ships in SE Asia January - June 2016.
There has been a significant reduction (64%) in reported incidents compared to the previous five years.
At Ports and Anchorages - 30 Incidents
Underway - 11 Incidents (6 Cat 1 Incidents)
Abduction of crew off East Sabah and Southern Philippines (4 incidents)
Hijacking of ships for oil cargo theft (2 incidents)
Opportunistic theft (5 incidents)
The shipping industry is advised to report to Philippine Coast Guard's Operations Centre in Southwestern Mindanao when their ships are transiting in the area for monitoring and for immediate response in any eventualities.
No room for complacency
• Concern over incidents of abduction of crew
• Occurrence of hijacking ships for oil cargo theft in May and June
• Incidents at certain ports and anchorages
• Authorities to step up surveillance, conduct patrols and initiate timely operational responses
• Shipping industry to report all incidents immediately to coastal/flag State and ReCAAP Focal Points, exercise enhanced vigilance and adopt best practices as recommended in the 'Regional Guide to Counter Piracy and Armed Robbery Against Ships in Asia'