1. This week UKMTO has released three Advisories (see page 3).
2. All three advisories issued this week were reported sightings of skiffs with more than 4 people on board. The 2 reports south of the Bab el Mandeb included groups of 4 or more skiffs. No further detail is available and vessels and crew are safe. Mariners are reminded to exercise caution whilst transiting this area and are encouraged to continue to report to UKMTO any activity or sightings that arouses suspicion.
3. It is confirmed that the Rama 2 sank 120nm off the coast of the Suqutra Islands in the Arabian Sea with the sad loss of one crew member. Articles (a) and (b) refer.
4. Protection of IT systems has been highlighted with the recent Cyber-attacks on industry which included the maritime sector. Article (c) refers.
5. The importance of the choke points, Bab el Mandeb and Straits of Hormuz, to the GCC countries was highlighted in a report on food security risks. Articles (d) and (e) refer.
Download full report here