1. This week UKMTO issued one Advisory, see page 3 for full details.
2. It was reported to UKMTO on 29 Jul 17 that a skiff approached a vessel 3 times at high speed near Point B of the IRTC. Warning shots were fired by the AST, Ref ADVISORY NOTICE 002/JUL/2017. Ship and crew are safe.
3. There are numerous reports of a UAE ship being attacked in the port of Mocha with firm details still to be independently verified. Articles (a) and (b) refer.
4. Whilst focus, understandably, tends to be on piracy in the region and security of shipping in the Bab-El-Mandeb straits area, the recent drugs seizure by the Indian navy reminds us that there is other criminal activity currently ongoing. Articles (c) and (d) refer. All shipping is requested to report any suspicious activity to UKMTO.
5. The judicial work to counter piracy continues with the closer cooperation between India and Somalia being demonstrated with the signing of a pact on prosecuted pirates. 15 Somali pirates arrested in 2011 were convicted and sentenced this week. Articles (e) and (f) refer.
Download full report here