Office of Naval Intelligence - Worldwide Threat to Shipping (WTS) Report
16 April - 16 May 2018
Table of Contents
3.Counter-Piracy and Maritime Crime Announcements and Advisories
4.Details: Monthly Incidents by Region
5.Appendix A: Further Contact Information and Resources
6.Appendix B: Terminology and References
1. (U) Scope Note
1. (U) The Worldwide Threat to Shipping (WTS) message provides information on threats to merchant vessels, the shipping industry, and other maritime stakeholders worldwide in the last 30 days. This report is produced primarily to inform merchant mariners and naval forces.
2. (U) Warnings and Advisories:
2. (U) Warnings and Advisories:
1. (U) MDAT-GoG Advisory 002/MAY/2018: Category: Attack. Description: An MV has been attacked in vicinity of 03:53N - 006:42E (Okwori Field), at approximately 0720UTC. MV proceeding to destination port. Source: Reported to MDAT-GoG via email by third party. Any queries regarding this Warning Notice ring 0033 298 22 88 88 for further information. This advisory is not classified as a Maritime Security Event and has not been verified by MDAT-GoG. This information is provided to inform maritime situational awareness for mariners operating in the region. MDAT-GoG is not responsible for the accuracy of this reporting. MDAT-GoG Watchkeeper email: firstname.lastname@example.org, emergency Tel: +33(0) 298 22 88 88.
3. (U) Summary
A. (U) NIGERIA: On 17 May, a merchant ship reported an attack near the Okwori Oil Field.
B. (U) UNITED STATES: On 12 May, police near Santa Barbara intercepted a panga-type boat carrying 3,000 pounds of marijuana and arrested 18 persons.
C. (U) RED SEA: On 10 May, an explosion was reported inside the hold of the bulk carrier INCE INEBOLU, anchored 70 nm off the coast of Yemen.
D. (U) ARABIAN SEA: On 10 May, the Royal Australian Navy Frigate HMAS WARRAMUNGA interdicted a dhow carrying 295 kilograms of heroin as part of Combined Task Force (CTF) 150 Maritime Security Operations.
E. (U) LIBYA: On 7 May, government officials announced that their coastguard had intercepted over 500 migrants in two separate operations off the country's northwestern coast.
F. (U) EAST CHINA SEA: On 3 May, a Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force vessel spotted a South Korean tanker beside a North Korean tanker, possibly conducting a ship-to-ship transfer of goods banned under UN Security Council resolutions.
G. (U) TRINIDAD and TOBAGO: On 1 May, police arrested a Venezuelan man after he came ashore in a small boat. A search of the man revealed 10.8 kilograms of cocaine in his backpack along with a loaded .380 semi-automatic pistol.
H. (U) HONDURAS: On 29 April, police intercepted a boat transiting from Colombia to Belize that was transporting 700 pounds of cocaine.
I. (U) SAINT VINCENT and the GRENADINES: On 20 April, a charter catamaran was boarded while anchored in Canouan Charlestown Bay. The thief stole a cell phone.
J. (U) MEXICO: On 19 April, an unknown person riding a jet ski shot at people on a beach in Cancun’s resort area.
K. (U) BRAZIL: On 16 April, authorities seized 453 kilograms of cocaine hidden among a cargo of paper in the port of Santos.
K. (U) FRENCH POLYNESIA: On 1 April, a catamaran was boarded while anchored in the atoll of Kauehi in the Tuamotu.
4. (U) Counter-Piracy and Maritime Crime Announcements
A. (U) GULF OF ADEN: Government of Japan convoy schedule for May and June 2018. To apply for JMSDF escort, visit http://www.mlit.go.jp/en/maritime/maritime_fr2_000000.html, please contact directly the Anti-Piracy Contact and Coordination Office, Maritime Bureau, Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism (MILT), Japan: Tel: +81-3-5253-8932; Fax: +81-3-5253-1643. Email: INFO-PIRACY@mlit.go.jp. (MSCHOA)
B. (U) GULF OF ADEN: Chinese Navy convoy schedule for May and June 2018. For further information, please e-mail: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org, or call Tel 00870 773 120 772. (MSCHOA)
C. (U) GULF OF ADEN: Indian Navy convoy escort schedule for May and June 2018. To register, email: email@example.com; or visit ww.dgshipping.com. Telephone numbers for contact are: 91-22-22614646 or fax at 91- 22-22613636. (MSCHOA) D. (U) GULF OF ADEN: Korean Navy convoy schedule for May and June 2018. All merchant vessels wishing to join the convoy group must submit their application forms directly to the ROK naval warship carrying out the mission. The ROK MTG can be reached directly at 001-646-466-9522. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. (MSCHOA)
Download this week's report here